We need You!
Household Items and Furniture
Our primary ministry is an ongoing effort to help individuals and families transition from the local shelters into more permanent housing by providing them with basic household needs, new beds, and furniture. Passion for Community provides the boost they need to get a new start on life.
We like to think of it as providing hope in a box truck…and it takes a LOT of hands to make it happen!
Help Things Keep running
Most of the recipients of our services are transitioning from homelessness or domestic abuse situations. They are identified by social agencies, schools, churches and other community agencies. We need volunteers that can process incoming requests for client needs and communicate with the referring agents.
Other administrative opportunities include delivery logistics, volunteer coordination, fundraising and social media tasks.
Contact us for more information!
Help Find Items
Love a good deal? Use your love of Freecycle, Facebook Marketplace, and other such forums to find needed items. Or conduct a community drive to gather donations. It is a great way to obtain service hours and we will help you with the details.
If interested, please contact us using the button below!
Help Retrieve Items
The pick-up team is vital, because furniture/goods donations are the core of what is needed by the families we serve. Keeping a steady flow of incoming donations is ongoing, and without it, outgoing deliveries are impacted.
The typical flow of incoming donations looks like this:
- Calls in to P4C to pick up furniture
- Volunteers find free stuff on the internet
- Furniture drives (like Girl/Boy Scouts, Teen Community Service Projects, etc.)
- Partnering with companies/organizations disposing of large quantities of furniture.
Pick-up Team volunteers
- Receive notification from the Procurement team that there is a donation needing pick-up.
- Coordinate the pickup with the donor (The donation size can range from a single item requiring an SUV or pickup truck, to many items requiring the P4C box truck.)
- Deliver donations to the warehouse.
We also need committed volunteers who can respond to one-off quick pick-up requests that help fill the gaps between larger donation pick-ups.
P4C Furniture Drives
Another way to help is to sponsor a drive or a fundraiser. This is a great way to do community service, earn volunteer hours, or as an outreach project for an organization.
You can volunteer to sponsor a furniture and household drive to gather items. This can be done in your own neighborhood, at an event, or in coordination with your school or church! It is a way for a student to gain leadership experience, and is also a community service project that everyone can support. It’s easier than a yard sale, and can be a great way for people to donate unwanted furniture/household goods that go to a wonderful cause.
HELP PREPARE DELIVERIES
Deliveries are prepped the Thursday and Friday before. Items and furniture are pulled from stock and staged for loading the truck on Saturday.
We also need help:
- Sorting and stocking donations
- Cleaning and/or mending donations that need a little TLC
- Testing lamps and small appliances
- Repairing furniture and appliances (BYOT—Bring Your Own Tools or take the smaller items back to your shop to work on!)
Help Drive and Deliver
- Box truck drivers
- Folks with pickup trucks that can tow a trailer
- Some helpers that can lift at least 50 lbs.
- We can use hands and feet of ALL sizes! Children are welcome! (We find them to be expert pillow carriers!)
- People who love to pray and share the love of Christ with those we serve.
We meet on Saturdays at our warehouse in Chantilly starting at 9:00 a.m. You can access our online signup sheet by clicking on the Sign-Up button bellow. It is most helpful if folks sign up by Thursday, so we know we have adequate team members to make our deliveries.
Out-of-cycle deliveries are also made on an as-need basis.